Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2001 11:20:22 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.sbin/pkg_install/add main.c src/usr.sbin/pkg_install/lib str.c

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 10:34:49PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > Do you understand how compilers generate code?  Have you ever written a
> > compiler?  Do you know how optimizers work?  Have you ever taken a
> > graduate code optimization course?  Do you have any code in a widely used
> > compiler?  Done any graduate work on processor architecture?
>
> Straw man.  This code is not critical-path, and so a pessimization of
> a few processor cycles won't affect anyone.

Pick which issue you want to argue.  You argued "code duplication".  So I
addressed that.  Just as important is the clarity and readablilty issue;
which I thought was more important.

> You should have discussed it with me.

You know, I did not get any email from you discussing you tearing *_my_*
"big if..then..else construct".  Why did you not discuss that with
me?!?!?  I did that code so it was simple and clear to read, because
everyone that had tried to write that code before messed it up...
including your initial more sophisticated change of it.

I changed 2% of your commit.  I need to discuss with you any change I
want to make to a piece of code you have ever touched??  You made this
commit 2.5 months ago.  It is old now, you've moved on to other commits.
Had you just made the commit, I would have sent you a diff.

> I made that change for good reason; perhaps I was misguided, but the
> polite thing to do would have been to talk about it with me privately
> and make your suggestions instead of unilaterally making the commit and
> stomping on my change.

Did I remove your broken lookup table?  Did I remove the good use of
strl*?  Or do you just have it in for me right now?  You seem to want to
bikeshed much of what I've tried to accomplish lately.  Since you've got
that Security Officer hat (and people with hats don't usually clearly
state when they are wearing it and when they aren't -- thus my impression
you requested the back out wearing your hat) you are able to assert
yourself beyond other committers.

> I'm still willing to discuss it,

Then start tearing my commit message to bits on technical merit rather
than your own emotional approach.

> although now we're in an emotionally charged, confrontational position
> and it's going to be harder to avoid shouting at each other.

I am not so emotionally charged.  I am waiting for some technical content
here.  "back it out" with no real reason is more you're shouting than
mine.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)