Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2001 13:16:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Paul English <penglish@hydro.washington.edu>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Promise UltraTrakTX4/TX8

> > 	I'm wondering if anyone is using (or has used) the Promise
> > UltraTrakTX4 or TX8 IDE raid arrays under FreeBSD. It is supposed to just
> > show up as one SCSI device, so in theory it should work fine. Promise has
> > tested it under Linux, but I'd just like to confirm a working setup while
> > I consider getting one.
>
> Not supported.  It's apparently a non-standard I2O device, and Promise
> never responded when asked for documentation or sample hardware to work
> with.

It is probably just my ignorance, but I thought I20 was for devices which
are adaptors (eg: a SCSI-like adaptor, or a network-like adaptor). The
Promise UltraTrak is a disk array which connects via the SCSI bus, so the
any I20 portion would be dealing with the SCSI adaptor, for which I plan
to use an Adaptec 2940UW or somesuch which is well supported by FreeBSD.

The UltraTrak TX4/8 are not adaptors in the same sense as all of the other
Promise products, which are PCI devices.

http://www.promise.com/Products/Default.htm

Of course I can totally see Promise not being cooperative - that's the way
it goes. Failing this I will just get an Arena IDE RAID array, which is
the same sort of thing, but which I already have working with FreeBSD
(it's just more expensive and slower).

Thanks,
Paul