Date:      Wed, 08 Aug 2001 17:50:36 +0930 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@scotty.masternet.it>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Lucent winmodem don't work anymore on 4.4-PR

On 08-Aug-2001 Gianmarco Giovannelli wrote:
>  It works very well under 4.3-STABLE, (last make world, make kernel on Fri
>  Jul 20).
>
>  Now on 4.4 current of today it does not work anymore...

Same here :(

>  I tried also the /usr/ports/comms/mwavem but it doesn't work for my modem:
>  mwave0: <mwave> on isa0
>  smapi::smapi_init, ERROR invalid usSmapiID
>  tp3780i::Initialize SMAPI is not available on this machine
>  Mwave Modem, ERROR cannot Initialize DSP error 5
>  device_probe_and_attach: mwave0 attach returned 5
>  mwave1: <mwave> on isa0
>  smapi::smapi_init, ERROR invalid usSmapiID
>  tp3780i::Initialize SMAPI is not available on this machine
>  Mwave Modem, ERROR cannot Initialize DSP error 5
>  device_probe_and_attach: mwave1 attach returned 5

Completely different device :)

>  while a simple kldload of ltmdm.ko:
>  ltmdm0: <Lucent Win Modem> port 0x1c00-0x1cff,0x2f8-0x2ff mem
>  0xffefff00-0xffeff
>  fff irq 11 at device 2.0 on pci0
>  ltmdm0: using SHARED IRQ.
>  ltmdm0: type Virtual 16550A
>
>  Is there anyone that have experienced such thing ?
>  Ideas ?

Your error report sucks BTW :)
You should say _why_ it doesn't work, ie hangs the system, prints funny
messages etc..

I have a Lucent Winmodem too, and I find that now I can't dialup because it
gets 'NO DIALTONE'. It also seems to make my computer run _really_ slow.

The NO DIALTONE thing is apparently an IRQ problem/conflict according to the
linux web pages I have read.

Not sure how to interpret that in the FreeBSD case however.

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum