Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2001 06:15:49 +0900
From:      JINMEI Tatuya / =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCP0BMQEMjOkgbKEI=?= <jinmei@isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp>
To:        Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@mahoroba.org>
Cc:        roam@ringlet.net, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getaddrinfo() returning AF_INET only?

roam> Is there a configuration file or environment variable or some other
roam> way to make getaddrinfo(3) not return AF_INET6 addresses even if
roam> those are available?  I know that most utilities that use getaddrinfo(3)
roam> have an IPv4-only command-line option, but is there a way to turn it
roam> on globally?

> There is no option to do so.  But, I believe it shouldn't cause any
> problem.

I also want to know why the original requester wanted to disable IPv6.
Is it just a personal preference, or is there any essential problems
with listing (and preferring) IPv6 addresses?

> However, current getaddrinfo() doesn't see sortlist at all.  It breaks
> backward compatibility against gethostbyname().  So, I'm writing a
> code to add sortlist facility to getaddrinfo().  Though the patch I
> sent to cvs-all touches only IPv4 address, I have the version which
> touches IPv6 address as well here.  Once the patch is applied, you can
> write as following into /etc/resolv.conf:

> 	sortlist 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 ::/0

> It means I want to see IPv4 address 1st.

> There is a discussion at IPng about destination address selection.
> This feature may be conflict with it in the future.  So, I'm wandering
> if committing it into FreeBSD is better?  Any suggestion?

Recent KAME snaps have (partial) support of the destination address
selection algorithm.  At this moment, however, it does not support the
flexible policy table, which is a generalization of the sortlist
mechanism.  Since the policy table has really an extension of
sortlist, we will not be able to just reuse sortlist as an
implementation of the table, when we add full support of the policy
table.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.