Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2001 09:14:15 -0600
From:      Stacy Millions <stacy@millions.ca>
To:        pgl@yoyo.org
Cc:        freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing oracle 8.1.7 under freebsd

Peter Lowe wrote:

> I'm having some problems installing oracle 8.1.7 under freebsd 4.3.
> I can get the installer to start (-thank- you Ms Stacy Millions),

Your welcome, I think. I would have a hard time explaining the Ms to
my wife and 4 kids :-)

>                                                                  but
> when I click "Next" after it's finished loading, a little window
> comes up saying "Loading products list", gets to about 30ish%, and
> bombs out with the error:
>
>         There was a problem in accessing the staging area.
>         Please make sure the specified values for "Source" and
>         "Destination" are valid.

I never saw that one... my first instinct would be a missing directory
or a permission problem.

[snip]

> I thought it might be mtab file, but I've triple checked and I'm
> fairly sure it's the right format. Here it is, just in case:
>
> [mini:oracle]:~/src/Disk1 $ cat /etc/mtab
> /dev/ad0s1b none swap sw 0 0
> /dev/ad0s1a / ufs rw 1 1
> /dev/ad1s1 /data msdos rw 1 1

From mtab(4)
{ /etc/mtab contains a table of filesystems currently mounted by the
{ mount(1M) command.

"mounted filesystems", you should not have your swap partition in there.
Don't know if that is causing a problem or not.

I guess I should look at 8.1.7 one of these days... but 8.1.6 is doing
every thing I need. If its not broke, don't fix it :-) I would be more
likely to go to 9.x

-stacy

--
Nothing spoils fun like finding out it builds character.
    - Calvin

Stacy Millions                                       stacy@millions.ca
Millions Consulting Limited