Date:      Thu, 6 Sep 2001 16:42:36 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/share/man/man9 style.9

On Thursday,  6 September 2001 at  9:51:46 +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 09:05:55AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:

>>> And what was wrong with exclamation marks?
>>
>> They were out of place, and didn't conform with the style of the rest
>> of the document.
>>
>> Note that in English, an imperative normally does <em>not</em> require
>> a terminating exclamation mark; indeed, it's not allowed.
>>
>>  From the Chicago Manual of Style, 14th Edition:
>>
>>  5.17 An exclamation point [sic] is used to mark an outcry or an
>>       emphatic or ironic comment.  To avoid detracting from its
>>       effectiveness, however, the author should use this punctuation
>>       sparingly.
>>
>>  5.19 The use of an exclamation point as an editorial protest is
>>       strongly discouraged.
>>
>>  From the Commonwealth of Australia Style Manual, 5th edition:
>>
>>  6.83 An exclamation mark should be used to indicate a high degree of
>>       surprise, incredulity or strong emotion.
>>
>  From the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary:
>
> An exclamation mark os (US) exclamation point is used at the end
> of a sentence expressing surprise, joy, anger, shock or some
> other strong emotion:
>
>   That's marvellous!
>   'Never!' she cried.
>
> In informal written English, more than one exclamation mark, or
> an exclamation mark and a question mark, may be used:
>
>   'Your wife's just given birth to triplets.'
>   'Triplets!?'

Hmm.  I would have thought that !? or ?! would be strongly
discouraged.

> Never of the above apparently falls under those style(9) cases.

Indeed.  They seem to fit into 5.17 or 6.83.

>>  By contrast, Duden says:
>>
>>  R28 Das Ausrufezeichen steht nach Aufforderungs- bzw. Befehlssatzen
>>      und nach Wunschsatzen.
>
> Bylo ocen% interesno uznat%, spasibo!

Hmm.  My Russian's terrible, and I don't understand the
transliteration, but that seems to mean something like "very
interesting, thanks".  Correct?

>> If you look at the cases in point, you'll find that both possibilities
>> mentioned in Duden apply to these sentences.  Neither English source
>> allows an exclamation mark to terminate a sentence in imperative mood.
>>
> Hmm, hmm.  Under the `imperative' article of the above mentioned
> dictionary, I read:
>
> : 2 (grammar) a form of a verb that expresses a command: In ``Go away!''
> : the verb is an imperative/is in the imperative.  Compare INDICATIVE 2,
> : INFINITIVE, SUBJUNCTIVE.

Strange.  That's English, of course, for a certain definition of
English, but my SOED doesn't mention the use of ! with imperatives.
Unfortunately I don't have an English style guide; I'd assume that the
use of ! with imperatives is allowed, and that it implies particular
forcefulness:

  "Please go away", she said.
  "But we could have so much fun together!"
  "Go <i>away</i>!", she repeated.

Greg