Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 18:35:02 -0600
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>
To:        Kris Kennaway <obsecurity.org!kris@orthanc.ab.ca>
Cc:        FreeBSD.ORG!arch@orthanc.ab.ca
Subject:   Re: Moving UUCP to ports

    Kris> I would like to move the UUCP suite from the base system
    Kris> into ports.  The UUCP utilities have a security hole which
    Kris> yields user uucp access, which can currently be leverage to
    Kris> obtain root access by trojaning the uucp binaries.  This
    Kris> security hole is believed to be basically unfixable due to
    Kris> the design of UUCP: we can limit its impact, but not
    Kris> eliminate it for all users.

What's the specific bug here? It's hard to evaluate your request
without knowing the actual problem.

Is this related to setuid binaries? If so, would you consider a
version of UUCP that doesn't require any setuid binaries?

Also, please remember that for those sites relying soley on UUCP for
connectivity, building from ports may not be an (easily available)
option.

--lyndon