Date:      Thu, 13 Sep 2001 13:14:14 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, David Malone <dwmalone@FreeBSD.org>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.sbin/syslogd syslogd.c

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 10:38:52AM +0100, David Malone wrote:
> > Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org> writes:
> > > Hmm, don't you broke the `-hostname' and `#-hostname' syntaxes with
> > > your commit?
>
> > Yes, I apparently broke something that didn't work to begin with.  And
> > the patch you posted in a followup to the PR doesn't compile, and
> > fails to take into accound at least two different (fully valid) cases.
>
> The old code worked almost fine. If syslog logs a line saying:
>
> 	Sep 13 09:44:50 walton login: login from beta on ttyp8 as gary
>
> then this line can be selected on by using "+walton" or rejected
> using "-walton". I explained this to the submitter of the PR and
> he was happy with this explaination and conculded his analysis
> wasn't correct.
>
> The only time that this does not work as expected is if you say
> "+walton.maths.tcd.ie" (which is walton's full host name). Then
> this line will not be selected, which may be unexpected.

That's what the latest (1.90) revision fixes as well as removal
of terminal dot character.

> The correct fix is to make syslogd use the FQDN all the time
> internally and only trim the local domain name before printing.
> At the moment it trims host names almost immediately before looking
> them up. I've looked into this and it shouldn't be too hard to
> impliment a fix. I left the PR open until I have time to fix this.

Nope, this would be incorrect, as local domain name may change
while syslogd(8) is running.  And we already have this feature
available with SIGHUP starting with rev. 1.82.  The DES's patch
rocks (well, after 3 revisions).

> If you decided to impliment another fix please make sure it is not
> going to have unexpected effects for people already using this
> feture. I'd be happy to review any patch you suggest.

Please review the change from 1.87 -> 1.90.

> Can I give you the pointy hat back now? ;-)

Revision 1.89 did that implicitly.  :-)

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,