Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2001 16:21:43 -0600
From:      Drew Eckhardt <drew@PoohSticks.ORG>
To:        Dan <dphoenix@bravenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ide striping

In message <20010914043602.P31777-100000@gandalf.bravenet.com>, dphoenix@braven
et.com writes:

>Does it make sense at all to stripe primary slave,
>secondary master and slave together?
>I would imagine it is a waste of time , just looking for thoughts
>on this vs just a single primary master IDE.

On a normal system, random access time will have a much bigger effect on
performance than raw throughput.

Although you can transfer 800K sequentially to or from the outer cylinders
on a modern drive in 20ms, it's going to take just as long to transfer a
single 4K block from an arbitrary disk location because of seek time
and rotational latency.

So, you'd be better off running a file system on each spindle and spreading
your data out accross those file systems than striping for one big file
system.