Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2001 11:28:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
Cc:        cvs-all@freebsd.org, cvs-committers@freebsd.org, joe@tao.org.uk
Subject:   Re: Proposed patch to log_accum.pl

On 14-Sep-01 Bill Fenner wrote:

>>I think that Greg and others were proposing having a '0' without a
>>leading '-' or '+'.  I prefer an 'x' or other character to make it
>>clear.
>
> There's also the possibility of "-0" on a new file (it's true, no
> previously-existing lines were deleted) and "+0" on a removed file
> (it's true, no new lines were added).

That doesn't allow you to distinguish from the case when you just remove X
number of lines from the file though.  I think that hte first proposal is the
most readable, and is unique, albeit slightly harder for scripts, but not that
much, if the first of the 2 numbers starts with - instead of +, you know you
have a file removal, and if the second string doesnt' start with -, you have a
file addition, so it's not but so hard to parse and makes much more sense to
human eyes:

  1.1     +145   src/foo.c
  1.67    -69    src/bar.c
  1.3     +4 -3  src/baz.c