Date:      Sun, 30 Sep 2001 22:38:53 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
Cc:        Bart Kus <bsd@shell-server.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: precise timing

Bakul Shah wrote:

> > Hrm, I was planning on investigating the RT capabilities of fbsd after
> > I got
> > myself a decent timer mechanism.  I was hoping they would be enough to get
> > close to RT.  I have an SMP system I can use, so 1 CPU can be dedicated to
> > the task.
>
> I doubt even an SMP system would help.

Plus this is ASMP -- ASymmetric MultiProcessing -- when you
dedicate a CPU to a task.

FreeBSD doesn't support this.

Linux supports this, with the patches from Ingo.  I'm guessing
they will become part of the standard Linux distribution.  He
developes the "Tux" in kernel web server, and he has the entire
code path for the thing, including the TCP stack, so it fits in
a single CPU instruction cache.

-- Terry