Date:      Tue, 02 Oct 2001 19:14:35 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>, Yevgeniy Aleynikov <eugenea@infospace.com>, ache@FreeBSD.ORG, mckusick@mckusick.com, Ken Pizzini <kenp@infospace.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: patch #3 (was Re: bleh. Re: ufs_rename panic)

Matt Dillon wrote:
>     Here is the latest patch I have.  It appears to completely solve the
>     problem.  I have shims in unionfs and nfs for the moment.

This seems rather large compared to Ian Dowse's version..  Are you sure that
you're doing this the right way?  Adding a whole new locking mechanism
when the simple VRENAME flag to be enough seems like a bit of overkill..

I'm not criticizing your work, I am just wondering if you have considered
Ian's work and feel that it is wrong or the wrong direction..  His certainly
appears more elegant than yours so I want to understand why you feel yours
is better than his.

freebsd-hackers

Cheers,
-Peter