Date:      Mon, 8 Oct 2001 22:56:02 +0200 (SAST)
From:      The Psychotic Viper <psyv@sec-it.net>
To:        Brent Kearney <brent@nospamthanx.ca>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, BSD Freak <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au>
Subject:   Re: Authenticated MAIL for roaming users

Hi,
Sorry if any of what I am about to say has been mentioned just caught the
thread now,

On Mon, 8 Oct 2001, Brent Kearney wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 07:34:29AM -0500, GB Clark II wrote:
> > On Sunday 07 October 2001 18:12, BSD Freak wrote:
> > >
> > > I have romaing users, that dial up to a varity of ISPs and I have the
> > > problem of having to change their outgoing mail setting depending on
> > > where they are going to be.
> >
> > I've got a perl script that parses my popusers.log file, pulls out the last
> > IP addresses for the users, creates a text file and adds these to the access
> > db for sendmail.  The only changes to a stock system are make pop syslog to a
>
> Then, however, you have to open pop up to the world.  While better
> than opening SMTP to the world, it isn't very desirable.  I would like
> to use IPSec + the built in IPSec cababilities of Win2k to create
> secure access to the mail server for roaming users.

Actually POP-before-SMTP is one of the preferred ways of doing it (aside
from SMTP auth itself) , and can be notched up with SSL on pop3. I
personally dont see a problem with pop3 open to the world if its
implemented correctly, also far less work than IPSec when it would be
overkill for just roaming smtp.

As for a link to read up on :
http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/roaming.html.

HTH