Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 09:46:21 -0400
From:      Allen Landsidel <all@biosys.net>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, "Brock Kreiser" <root63@earthlink.net>
Subject:   Re: firewall

At 06:24 AM 10/11/2001 -0700, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:

>Having said all that, you will have to seriously open your firewall in
>order to make FTP work properly through your firewall.  Even if you
>restrict your FTP clients to using PORT (active) FTP, people can still
>use an FTP bounce to map or even gain access to other hosts and ports
>behind the firewall through your FTP server.  These are two of the

Can I get something clarified here?  Judging by the tone of that statement,
do you advocate using PORT over PASV?

I agree standalone FTP has some pretty bad security implications, including
hijacked sessions and password sniffing.. but that's what we have ftp-only
users for.  Passive mode I think is a far safer alternative than active
also, as far as blowing holes in your firewall goes.