Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 15:25:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Bzdik BSD <bzdik@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Piet Delport <siberiyan@mweb.co.za>, Kastaki <kastaki@ganbert.com>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NEWBIE

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, Bzdik BSD wrote:

> I can highly recommend "Think Unix" also. I would also recommend the
> 4.3 release instead of 4.4 for a newbie because the latter is a bit
> non-conventional <G>: tools are missing, not all shells in post
> install, etc.

The ISO now on the servers (September 22) has the tools directory, as
does the mini-ISO. (Not packages and probably not X either.)

> This makes Ms Anderson's book a very good choice it has the CD
> included.

The book works with 4.4 also (not much is different except the
installation keystrokes, where you need often to Tab to get to
the OK box because Enter toggles the [x].

But 4.4 has the advantage of an updated cvsup (post September 9) and
one way or another you need to install an updated cvsup.  All versions
of cvsup and cvsup-bin (which no longer exists) before midday
September 9 have a bug that showed up on that date.  Up-to-date
servers will reject you if you have an old cvsup.

> If you use Greg's book, keep in mind there's a typo on page 164 that
> can make you locked out slightly:
>
> page 164, where it shows the adduser procedure, line that says :
> "Invite yana into other groups: no"
>
> this "no" is done in bold in his book, which suggests user's input, and
> if you type it, you won't be able to type "wheel". You can fix it later
> though editing /etc/group file.
>
> three more editions and they will fix it.

	Annelise

P.S. This book really is for users new to both FreeBSD and UNIX in
general.

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC