Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 10:15:16 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        <carter@pair.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: soft updates, write cache

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001 carter@pair.com wrote:

> >From what I understand, softupdates allows the filesystem to
> always be in a 'clean' state, so that fsck is not necessary after
> a crash except to reclaim free space from deleted files. If
> softupdates depends on the files having actually been written,
> their being stored in a hardware write cache can lead to the OS
> believing a filesystem is clean when it is not. As well, I have
> seen reference to IDE devices lieing about if their cache has been
> written or not.

I'm no expert, but.... The problem is not that data in the cache might
not make it to disk, it is that it might make it to disk out of order.
A write cache is OK as long as it is always FIFO (unfortunately most
drives try to reorder whatever is in their cache for optimal
performance).  I can't imagine any case where this would not be true
when you are using a single instance of non-volatile storage or if all
instances are completely independant of each other.  There could be
problems if you depend on two or more pieces of non-volatile storage
to be "syncronized" in some way where a volatile write cache on any of
the devices could pose a problem, such as if you kept metadata on one
drive and data on another.

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
 FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet