Date:      Sun, 21 Oct 2001 02:04:36 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@citeweb.net>
To:        Lamont Granquist <lamont@scriptkiddie.org>
Cc:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recovering from clobbered boot manager?

Lamont Granquist wrote:

> > > Default: 0:fd(0,a)/boot/loader
> > > boot:
> > >
> > > you just have to enter :
> > >
> > > 0:ad(0,a)/boot/loader
> > >
> > > if that don't work, let's try :
> > >
> > > 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
> > >
> > > which should work in any case.
>
> I tried a lot of guesses and looked for documentation but haven't been
> able to figure out the right magic incantation to boot my 4.4-RELEASE
> system like this after interrupting the boot.  My / is on da0s2a.

how many IDE drives have you ? SCSI drives ?

considering you only have 1 IDE and 1 SCSI, the magic incantation
should be :

1:da(0,a)/boot/loader

if you have 2 IDE and 1 SCSI, it should be :

2:da(0,a)/boot/loader

etc.

also, I've put a home made grub floppy disk here:
	http://clefevre.citeweb.net/freebsd/grub.flp

to use it, boot it, break the autoboot process (don't remember
how to do that, but this should be indicated somewhere :), then
at the grub prompt, enter :

grub> root (hd0,0,a)
              ^ ^ ^ this represent the BSD slice.
              | |- this represent the MSDOS partition.
	      |- from here, you can use the <tab> key to list the
	         available disks, then partitions, etc.
grub> kernel /boot/loader
grub> boot

for example, I've 4 IDE drives (numbered from 0 to 3) and 4 SCSI drives
(numbered from 4 to 7). the bootable one is the first SCSI drive seen by
grub, so, I use : root (hd4,0,a)
I also have 2 boot partitions on the first IDE drive names (hd0,2,a) and
(hd0,3,a).

I also put the grub info manual in html format here :
	http://clefevre.citeweb.net/freebsd/grub.html

PS : the /kernel and the /boot/loader located on the floppy are
-stable.  I've tried to put a -release GENERIC kernel, but it is
too big to fit w/ grub...

an alternative would be to use the /boot/loader located on the floppy,
grub> root (fd0,a)
grub> kernel /boot/loader
grub> boot
and to play w/ lsdev to find the right drive to find the right values
to the following variables as needed.
currdev="disk5s1a"
root_disk_unit="0"
rootdev="disk5s1a"
(disk5s1a are mine parameters, they probably won't work in your case).

as you see, there is plenty of solutions to boot of FreeBSD w/o a right
MBR ;^)

Cyrille.
--
Cyrille Lefevre                 mailto:clefevre@citeweb.net