Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 12:05:18 +0930
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk 1.1.8 on -current?

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 06:46:07PM -0700, Bill Huey wrote:
> Is -current even worth running at this point ? I've been developing under -stable
> because the last couple of -current installtion attempts blew up.

No.  Given that 5.0 is a year away, hitting a moving target at that distance
is just letting yourself in for a world of pain.  I also suspect that the
percentage of BSD Java users running -current is quite small.  Basically,
anyone running one of the Java server engines (e.g. Tomcat) or doing
serious Java application/applet development is more than likely running
-stable, so that is what we should be aiming at IMO.

> BTW, I'm still working on native threading here, but not too agressively. ;-)
>
> It seems like the core threading is working fine, but something in the AWT is
> triggering some kind of weird SEGV, which I still haven't quite tracked down yet.
> It pretty encouraging that condition-variables & mutexes are working pretty nicely
> with crashing so far...
>
> I'm still going to peck on this further. ;-)

Cool :).

--
Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond                           Phone : (801) 765 1887