Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2001 21:01:29 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: reliable HDD brand

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 09:19:24PM +0100, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> Yes, why are they so noisy ?
> I suspect little effort is put into them in this direction
> on the grounds they are for the most part used in servers
> in isolated locations ? Just a guess..

Well, they generally run at a higher RPM for starters.  High-end IDE drives
are typically 7200rpm (although I'm sure some 10Krpm models exist now).
SCSI drives start at 7200 and go up to 15Krpm these days.  All other things
being equal, that's going to make them louder.

I think you're right though, there's no real incentive for manufacturers to
make them quiet (and probably compromise something else in doing so).
Certainly in our server room, with the A/C and UPS blasting away, nobody's
going to notice the noise from a few disk drives... :-)

Cheers,

	Scott