Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2001 11:21:29 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Hiten Pandya <hitmaster2k@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <ia64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [HELP] - booting the kernel

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Hiten Pandya wrote:

> hello all,
> could some one please help me on how to boot the
> kernel... i tried the following with the emulator...
>
> <ski - start> # in the boot directory
> load skiload
> run
>
> .. a new window (console) comes up and then it gets
> stuck saying... cannot boot 'kernel'. nothing else...
> it stops there...
>
> please help me...
> all help is appreciated...

The loader expects to be run in a directory which contains a boot
subdirectory which is layed out in the standard way (i.e. with loader.conf
and a kernel subdirectory etc.). You can sort this out without much effort
by doing something like:

	# mkdir -p boot/kernel
	# cd boot/kernel
	# ln -sf ../../../../../ia64/compile/SKI/kernel

This assumes that you are using the canned SKI configuration to build
kernels.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Phone: +44 20 8348 6160