Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2001 13:52:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: libstdc++

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Dimitar Peikov wrote:

> I've got some piece of code that uses 'sstream' header from the
> libstdc++. It presents in /usr/src/contrib/libstdc++ but
> /usr/src/gnu/libstdc++/Makefile doesnt include it. So i've added
> only sstream to HDRS define in Makefile and solve my problem. Is
> there someone that checks for the new features of these libraries or
> when someone is needed to search for it, is having to make some
> gymnastic to add it from sources where they are? I think that when a
> new version of a library is updated the new functionality must
> present too? Except when some specific code is not easy portable
> there. Sorry, if my english is so brutal, I have no idea to argue
> someone, just only say that something is wrong for me.

    IMHO, you're better off using /usr/ports/devel/stlport than
libstdc++.  It performs better and is "more reentrant" than libstdc++
in my experience, even when the latter is built with thread-safe flags
turned on.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)