Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 10:54:21 +1000
From:      Nick Slager <ns@BlueSkyFrog.COM>
To:        Darren Reed <avalon@cairo.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KAME IPsec on low-end hardware

Thus spake Nick Slager (ns@BlueSkyFrog.COM):
> Thus spake Darren Reed (avalon@cairo.anu.edu.au):
> > > 64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=63 time=34.032 ms
> > > 64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=63 time=33.999 ms
> > >
> > > With IPsec not active, response times are "normal" (~ 0.5ms)
> >
> > That doesn't sound normal to me.
> >
> > I've been using IPsec on a OpenBSD/sparc (IPX) box which is
> > definately not faster than either the DX4/100 or P90 and my
> > ping times are still in the 3-5 ms range to a NetBSD/Celeron-533.
> > In the absence of IPsec, ping times are sub-1ms.  These are
> > on the same LAN (no router between them), however.  That is
> > using DES-MD5.
>
> Hmmm, odd. I've just changed the encryption/hash to DES/MD5.
> No change in response times.

Hmmm, seems that I failed to do this correctly last night :-\

Changing the encryption/hash to DES/MD5 *does* indeed make a difference
to response times; I'm consistently seeing rtt times of 13-14ms now.

Compare this to the "default" triple-DES/SHA-1 scheme, which
consistently comes in at 33-34ms.

I suspect that compression would also affect response times, but
omitting:

  compression_algorithm deflate;

from racoon.conf results in a parse error. Does anyone know if
compression can be disabled?

Also, is there much difference between racoon and isakmpd? AFAICT
isakmpd supports dymamic client IP addresses, but that seems to be the
only major difference.

Regards,

Nick

--