Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2001 15:37:56 -0700 (MST)
From:      Kirk Davis <kirk@bohica.net>
To:        bright@mu.org (Alfred Perlstein)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: porting OpenSSH to 2.2.8

> * Kirk Davis <kirk@bohica.net> [011113 15:58] wrote:
> > Hi,
> > 	I have a number of older FreeBSD boxes (running 2.2.8-STABLE) and
> > I am not able to upgrade beyond 2.2.8 due to some custom software.
> >
> > 	Has anyone managed to get a newer version of OpenSSH running on
> > a 2.2.8 box?  I'm not a C programer but I have ported some programs in
> > the past.  I'm not having a lot of luck and was hoping that someone out
> > there had already invented the wheel.
>
> Please don't cross post!

   Sorry about that.  I didn't know if it was more a hackers or security
thing.

> I did a bunch of work trying to get it working in the ports tree,
> but that was months and months ago.  Have you tried the port?
>
> Have you tried the "portable" version of openssh?

   I haven't tried the portable version yet.  I started from the source
and then after I ran into some problems I tried the port. I took the port
from 4.4 and tried it but since the ports moved to the common BSD ports
tree... I had more problems.

   OpenSSH was in the 3.x tree before the move to the common ports but
it's only 2.1.1 and still has some known security problems.

   I'm starting to get the idea it gust might be easier to try and
get the other custom software modified to run in 4.4 :-)

---- Kirk