Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2001 21:16:31 +0100 (CET)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        Tadas <b-tadas@takas.lt>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: readcd

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Tadas wrote:

> The arguments are: "readcd dev=/dev/rcd0.ctl f=/tmp/aaa". I have an
> ordinary Teac CD-ROM. So, what's wrong?

Ordinary sounds rather like ATAPI/IDE, not SCSI. Therefore, readcd does
not work. Now, what do you do? If you have a data CD, you can copy it
about like this:

dd if=/dev/acd0c of=cdimage bs=2048

This will create a file called cdimage in your current directory, assuming
that your CD-ROM drive is /dev/acd0. Next you can burn the image back to a
CD:

burncd -f /dev/acd1c -s 12 data cdimage fixate

(assuming that your burnder is /dev/acd1c and the speed you want to (and
can) burn with is 12).

The method above will obviously have problems with audio CDs and some
other special cases, but for ordinary cases, it should work.

If you do indeed have a SCSI CD-ROM drive (despite my assumption), the
procedure outlined by me will not work (dd will, but I guess  burncd
won't). In that case, I hope that any of the more SCSI-experienced folkes
here will be able to help you.

Greetings
Nils

Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany
http://www.tisys.org * nils@tisys.org