Date:      Sat, 7 Dec 2002 15:13:21 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
Cc:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: major surgery on a chapter?

--kK1uqZGE6pgsGNyR

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 05:35:04AM +0200, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2001-11-20 21:33:39, Michael Lucas wrote:
> > I'm doing a pass on the Handbook, and found that the ports chapter
> > could really use some help.  I've started to rewrite some stuff and
> > add information, and found myself committing major surgery here and
> > there.
>=20
> If the changes are more than a certain percentage, say you change more
> than 75% of the actual content, and the rest is still touched for
> style issues here and there, it seems that a new `chapter.sgml' posted
> in its entirety for review is what is called for :)
>=20
> This is of course, my own humble opinion.

My general rule of thumb is:

If the structure of the chapter is staying the same, but I'm adding new
information through out it, then commit that as one chunk.

If I'm moving stuff around wholesale, but not rewriting it, then commit
it as one chunk, with a note in the commit message that it's a move of
content, so the translation teams can make the same change.

If I'm taking an axe to the existing documentation and completely
rewriting it then commit it as one chunk, with an appropriate note to
the translation teams.

Sometimes this means holding off on a commit, and keeping multiple
copies of the files around, with notes on what change happened when.
This is so that the commits that make the changes can happen in quick
succession, and the documentation is not 'broken' for long periods of
tiem.

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve      http://www.freebsd.org/               (__)
FreeBSD Documentation Project    http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/    \\\'',)
                                                                      \/  \=
 ^
   --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---         .\._/=
_)

--kK1uqZGE6pgsGNyR

--kK1uqZGE6pgsGNyR--