Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2001 06:01:52 +1300
From:      Joerg Micheel <joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>
To:        Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sysctls for hardware monitoring?

On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 05:51:10PM +0100, Harti Brandt wrote:
> Taking a Linux driver to argue against
> something doesn't really make sense. There is so many crap in the Linux
> kernel, that you can argue against anything: "The crappy unix domain
> sockets don't work in Linux. Oh yeah, they are a bad idea anyway..."

Delete the offending word Linux from my statement and replace it with
"I am maintaining a driver which has /proc support on a freeware UNIX
platform." Doesn't change a thing. There are floating point numbers,
hex integers, strings and a lot of other misc stuff in there. If you
want to work with those numbers, you need to write a parser with
scanf() in the best case, yacc/lex in the worst. That really sucks!
I have a program that needs the Pentium clock frequency in order to
introduce nanoseconds of delay. No sysctl! I need to open and read
/proc/cpuinfo. Meaning, the kernel has to do lots more stuff and the
user program, too. I can't consider that an advantage.

I love *BSD pragmatics. It's closer to the real world.

	Joerg
--
Joerg B. Micheel			Email: <joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>
WAND and NLANR MOAT			Email: <joerg@nlanr.net>