Date:      Sat, 8 Dec 2001 20:58:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using a larger block size on large filesystems

:|     no performance issues involved with people using /tmp files that requires
:|     MFS or MD.  It's an unnecessary waste of memory and an unnecessary burden
:|     on our VM system.
:
:Unless you want a cvs pserver to run fast!  I did some benchmarks a while
:back (port 4.2 I think) in which I had /tmp on soft-updates.  It was
:a little faster on "cvs co freebsd" for example.  CVS pserver was running
:on a dedicated machine and the CVS client was on another.  Switched to

    Try it with softupdates turned on.  Still, I'd expect MFS to be faster
    even against softupdates, but that doesn't mean its a good idea to
    create an MFS /tmp by default.  At BEST we wound up putting the sendmail
    domain cache under MFS for similar reasons, but we never put /tmp under
    MFS (on any machine)... physical ram was far too precious to waste on
    /tmp.

:MFS made a significant improvement.  I don't have the number anymore
:(changed employers).  I think the issue here is that CVS on the pserver
:checks out a sparse tree of the meta data for the each directory
:...
:
:One thing I didn't try was mounting /tmp as async and maybe noatime.
:That might be an interesting thing to try.
:
:Doug A.
:

					-Matt