Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2001 17:10:51 +0300
From:      Lev Serebryakov <lev@serebryakov.spb.ru>
To:        Alan Eldridge <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re[2]: autoconf 2.50

Hello Alan,

Friday, December 14, 2001, 1:23:33 AM, you wrote:

AE> On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 12:58:24AM +0300, Lev Serebryakov wrote:
>>Hello, ports! How are you?
>>
>> deve/autoconf port has 2.13-XXX version :(
>> And many programs want autoconf-2.50 already.
>> For example, I want to update icewm port to 1.0.9-2 version, and
>> icewm 1.0.9 needs autoconf-2.50.
>> System has two identical ports now -- autoconf213 and autoconf. WHY?
AE> They are not identical. Same for automake.
  Oh, really?!

devel/autoconf is:
PORTNAME=       autoconf
PORTVERSION=    2.13.000227

devel/autoconf213 is:
PORTNAME=       autoconf213
PORTVERSION=    2.13.000227

  They installs SAME files under DIFFERENT names.

  Now we have cool way to use differnet versions of autoconf &
  automake: USE_AUTOCONF_VER=XXX, USE_AUTOMAKE_VER=XXX

  So, we COULD have new autoconf in simple port (without
  version after name: devel/autoconf) and use DIFFERNT versions for DIFFERENT ports.
  Of course, we should use autoconf213 by default (if here is
  USE_AUTOCONF=yes and NO USE_AUTOCONF_VER=XXX) and same for
  automake14/automake.

  It WORK for automake now! We HAVE new automake in devel/automake
  port and appropriate code in Mk/bsd.port.mk (it understand versions
  14 and 15)!

  And we have only a HALF of code for autoconf in Mk/bsd.port.mk (it
  understands only version 213), and we DON'T HAVE autoconf 2.50 in devel/autoconf.
  WHY?

 AE> Make ports will not build using the newer versions. And don't say they
 I know it. But see above...

--
Best regards,
 Lev                            mailto:lev@serebryakov.spb.ru