Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2001 02:26:51 -0600
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, mitko@rila.bg, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Performance issue

* Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG> [011213 22:17] wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 03:23:28PM -0800, Peter Wemm wrote:
> > Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> > >
> > > There are many effects that could cause this, for instance if FreeBSD
> > > manages to align things differently in relation to the CPU cache you
> > > could get some very interesting waste of time that way.
> > >
> > > Based on the data you show me, I can't really say that something is
> > > wrong or right either way.
> >
> > One thing that Linux does that we do not do is that they have different
> > versions of libc compiled specifically for different cpu types, and at
> > boot time set the correct paths.  eg:  /lib/i386/libc.so.6.whatever
> >
> > This means that Linux's glibc is using an i686 optimized bzero(), but
> > the FreeBSD one is using an i386 optimized bzero().
>
> This could easily be hung off CPUTYPE like we do for the asm code in
> OpenSSL, right?

That's not the point, you're proposing a static configuration
which i honestly don't like.  What makes more sense is to
teach the dynamic linker to look for archetecture specific
subdirectories in order to dynamically link in a shared object
more suited to the running CPU, not the CPU it was compiled on.

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
                           http://www.morons.org/rants/gpl-harmful.php3