Date:      Sun, 30 Dec 2001 21:59:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
Cc:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: USB help needed

On Sat, 29 Dec 2001, Randall Hopper wrote:

>      I got this little MyMP3 player here which has a USB port and functions
> as a removable 32MB hard disk in Windows.  Just for kicks I thought I'd try
> to access it from FreeBSD.
>
>      When I do a 'camcontrol rescan 0' or rescan 1, devlist doesn't show
> any new devices.
>
>      Any suggestions?  And (backing up a step) are USB mass storage devices
> typically generic enough (like IDE hard disks) that I could even hope for
> this to work without device-specific support in the FreeBSD kernel?

You need to figure out why the device isn't responding to data
transmissions. They're just timing out.

> umass0: Handling CBI state 11 (CBI Data), xfer=0xc1783200, TIMEOUT
> umass0: Data-in 36b failed, TIMEOUT
> umass0: CBI Reset

Did you hack it to attach to umass?

It might need to be quirked. Check out src/sys/dev/usb/umass.c and
src/sys/dev/usb/usb_quirks.c for hints.

It's entirely possible the device requires a special driver. If it needs
one under Windows I'll bet it'll require additional hackery.

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org