Date:      Sat, 19 Jan 2002 17:49:42 +0100 (CET)
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        mi@aldan.algebra.com
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: depending on the shared libraries

On 19 Jan, Mikhail Teterin wrote:

> I keep  wondering, and keep asking  this question, but noone  feels like
> answering. Most of the ports don't  care for the exact version number of
> the library they  depend on. Be that jpeg.7 or  jpeg.8, foo.N or foo.N+1
> or foo.N-1.  However, the  committers seem  to religiously  maintain the
> numbers  and  every time  a  library-installing  port (like  vorbis)  is
> updated, the update is followed by  a flurry of the commits updating the
> dependent ports.

[...]

> Granted, sometimes  a particular feature  of a library is  important and
> requiring the exact version number makes sense, but that's so rarely the
> case -- libxine worked fine with vorbis.0 and will continue working with
> .1 and probably .2...

There was an API change between RC1 and RC2 of vorbis.

> As a  result, any time  I go to rebuild,  say, ImageMagick, I  notice it
> attempts to rebuild png, even though IM works just fine with the version
> of png I already have...

My opinion on this:
It would only make sense if we are able to specify version ranges, e.g.
"greater than .2" or something like this.

A work around would be to use no version number until the port breaks,
but a maintainer can't test the interaction with every old version the
port depends upon.

The actual way describes a known good dependency chain whereas your
proposal relies much more on problem reports.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
            Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day;
     teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.