Date:      Sat, 19 Jan 2002 13:28:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        Alexander@leidinger.net
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: depending on the shared libraries

On 19 Jan, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>> Granted, sometimes a particular feature of a library is important and
>> requiring the exact version number  makes sense, but that's so rarely
>> the  case --  libxine worked  fine  with vorbis.0  and will  continue
>> working with .1 and probably .2...
>
> There was an API change between RC1 and RC2 of vorbis.

Ok, but libxine can compile with either, right?

>> As a result, any time I go  to rebuild, say, ImageMagick, I notice it
>> attempts to  rebuild png,  even though  IM works  just fine  with the
>> version of png I already have...
>
> My opinion on this: It would only make sense if we are able to specify
> version ranges, e.g. "greater than .2" or something like this.

I think, you can say foo.[1-46] -- it is a regexp (or glob?)...

> A work around would be to use no version number until the port breaks,
> but a maintainer can't test the interaction with every old version the
> port depends upon.

Usually  -- until  the  software  vendor note  in  his/her release  note
(or  build instructions),  that  the  new release  will  only work  with
such-and-such versions.

> The actual  way describes a  known good dependency chain  whereas your
> proposal relies much more on problem reports.

But it is too restrictive. And,  as we see, breaks perfectly good ports,
when another  port is being  updated (even if  such breakage is  easy to
notice).

This should be left up to  the maintainer, probably, but we need another
example for the porter's handbook.

	-mi