Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 11:14:11 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Tadayuki OKADA <tadayuki@mediaone.net>
Cc:        mi@aldan.algebra.com, will@csociety.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/graphics/gd Makefile pkg-comment

On Tue 2002-01-22 (00:35), Tadayuki OKADA wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 23:39:23 -0500
> Tadayuki OKADA <tadayuki@mediaone.net> wrote:
> > > Would you  be able to offer  an example on  how this is relevant  to the
> > > argument? Thanks!
> > Sorry, I was not clear.
> >
> > I meant:
> > If port A depends on port B's library.
> > port B updated. Assume it breaks binary compatibility.
> > port A build will not be broken, so forget PORTREVISION bump.
> > People update port B, but not port A. so port A will stop working.
>
> And isn't it the rule to bump PORTREVISION when binary is changed?
> We don't want 2 different packages which have same version but depend on
> different version of shared library, do we?

It should be a rule, but it's a bit hard to manage at the moment.

(What's needed is a means to signal that a package needs a PORTREVISION
bump.  In theory, any consumer of jpeg, even those that don't use jpeg
directly in their LIB_DEPENDS lines, will be needed to get a
PORTREVISION bump when the major version of jpeg changes.  ie, every kde
application...  See why it's a bit hard to manage at the moment?

As far as I'm aware, Debian's management scripts will notice the
changing version requirements for jpeg.9 to jpeg.10, and thus increment
the package revision.)

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner