Date:      Mon, 11 Feb 2002 06:16:47 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Glenn Becker <chexmix@burningclown.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ignorant networking Qs

> Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 14:59:41 -0500
> From: Glenn Becker <chexmix@burningclown.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> > Because you don't have an interface that can reach the "right stuff" ?
> >
> > A route should not be added if you cannot route packets to the
> > destination.  Set up an interface and then worry about routes.
> >
> > Basic network configuration should also be in the online docs, the
> > problem is you may be trying to configure things before the pcmcia
> > network interface is brought up, which won't work.
>
> Ok - I finally got this thing working somehow. With lots of help added
> the right lines to /etc/rc.conf and now I can surf along swell ...
>
> Remaining trouble is that when I try to ssh out to my email account at
> burningclown.com, I get looped back to my own machine and log into
> myself! So I will, erm, work on -that-.

Are you configured for IPv6 (0? If you are configed for IPv6 (options
INET6) but only connected to an IPv4 router, and the site you are
trying to reach has an AAAA record in DNS, there was a problem of the
system falling over to the lo0 interface (Oops!).

There is a fix...but I don't seem to be able to find it.

If you think this is the problem, I'll search my archive and see if I
can find it.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)