Date:      21 Feb 2002 19:10:32 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
To:        java@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   linux-jdk14 bombs (running tomcat with servlet)

OS version from "uname -a":

    FreeBSD Palimpsest.it.hq.nasa.gov 4.5-STABLE FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE #7:
    Mon Feb  4 13:14:17 EST 2002
    cshenton@Palimpsest.it.hq.nasa.gov:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/Palimpsest i386

I'm doing some servlet development under Turbine (web framework
running on Tomcat) and need some of the new classes which only became
available in jdk-1.4.  So far I've been using the FreeBSD native
JDK-1.3 port for this without problem; I just can't code to the 1.4
APIs.

I CVSup ports daily, so I'm pretty current. The build of
/usr/ports/java/linux-jdk14 using j2sdk-1_4_0-linux-i386.bin went
fine, but it bombs when I start access a servlet within tomcat.

I noticed in the Makefile it depends on linux_base.  Based on
something I recalled from the lists, I replace the one I'd installed a
couple months back with the one from
/usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-7. No joy.  So I reinstalled the plain
old unversioned emulators/linux_base:

    Registering installation for linux_base-6.1

but still no joy. Java tells me its version:

    cshenton@Palimpsest(257> javavm -version
    java version "1.4.0"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.0-b92)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.0-b92, mixed mode)

I start up Tomcat, and as usual it logs:

    Apache Tomcat/4.0-b6-dev
    Starting service Tomcat-Apache
    Apache Tomcat/4.0-b6-dev

then when I connect to the servlet (http://localhost:8080/sna/servlet/Turbine)
tomcat logs this error:

    Unexpected Signal : 11 occurred at PC=0x2A0377B0
    Function=[Unknown.]
    Library=(N/A)

    NOTE: We are unable to locate the function name symbol for the error
          just occurred. Please refer to release documentation for possible
          reason and solutions.

    Current Java thread:

    Dynamic libraries:
    Can not get information for pid = 13338

    Local Time = Thu Feb 21 18:58:42 2002
    Elapsed Time = 53
    #
    # HotSpot Virtual Machine Error : 11
    # Error ID : 4F530E43505002D3
    # Please report this error at
    # http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi
    #
    # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.4.0-b92 mixed mode)
    #
    # An error report file has been saved as hs_err_pid13338.log.
    # Please refer to the file for further information.
    #

There's no further info in that log file -- it has exactly the same
contents as I've included here.

Any thoughts? Thanks.