Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 13:09:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern kern_time.c

On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :With all do respect, I'd like to ask you to hold off for a couple of days
> :until John is back in communication again from his travel to/from BSDCon.
> :Over BSDCon he was talking about committing it within the next four days,
>
>    With all due respect, every time I've tried to work on a subsystem in
>    current someone somewhere has had patches sitting around for months
>    that hadn't been comitted.  NO WORK WILL GET DONE if John has half the
>    subsystems in current locked up with patches he hasn't committed.

We're not talking about a lock.  We're talking about common sense and
courtesy.  Since you seem to be impervious to polite requests, let me try
again.

<core hat on>
Do not commit these changes until you have coordinated with John Baldwin.
</core hat off>

Please make use of basic and common courtesy: hold off on committing this.
It's not a big thing.  There's no rush.  John is probably in transit right
now on his way back to the east coast from attending BSDCon.  If it was
really important, you could have brought it up at the developer summit
when he talked about the very patch we're now discussing.  If it was
really important, you would wait and talk with him about it when he gets
back into communication.  It's really not that hard.  This request is now
being made formally as a core team member.

>    John can synchronize his stuff when he gets back.  It should not be a big
>    deal, these are whole subroutines that are being adjusted and he can
>    simply remove the elements of his patch set related to those subroutines.
>    The patches are very simple.   Besides, I doubt John instrumented his
>    code with mtx_lock_giant() and with the amount of Giant-pushdown work
>    slated for the next few weeks that is going to be necessary to make
>    tracking down bugs possible.

Have you looked at his Perforce branch?

Let's look carefully at what you said before: you claimed that he (a)
couldn't have done the work because the KSE pieces weren't there, and (b)
he should have committed long ago because it was holding you up.

(1) If he couldn't have done it because the pieces were there, he should
    obviously not have committed it.  The reason he hadn't committed it
    was precisely because the pieces weren't there (I've been asking him
    to commit it for weeks, and he has pointed out every time that there
    were races that couldn't be closed because the KSE pieces weren't
    there).

(2) Have you e-mailed him asking him to commit it, or letting him know he
    was holding you up?  Have you made any attempt to review his
    work-in-progress?