Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 18:43:05 +0200
From:      Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Matt Sykes <mattmsykes@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: variables not passed to sub-makes

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 04:22:01PM +0000, Matt Sykes wrote:
> But what's with people submitting followups saying it's not
> a problem then closing the PR!  Glad to see you reopened it
> today.
>
> I counted 155 ports which use CFLAGS+=... in their Makefile,
> so some or all of these ports are silently broken.  This seems
> Pretty Important to me.

The problem isn't seen in ports which use configure scripts, gmake or
sed/perl methods of getting CFLAGS into the build.  People test with
this...

I've never found the time to solve this.  The solution needs to involve
preventing the system .mk files (including make.conf) from setting
variables which are already set and in use by bsd.port.mk.  My simplest
idea was to set a PORT_BUILDING variable and avoid including make.conf
and (now) bsd.cpu.mk at the end of sys.mk.

I really appreciate if you could find a fix for this.

Regards,
  -Jeremy

--
FreeBSD - Because the best things in life are free...
                                           http://www.freebsd.org/