Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2002 10:09:49 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: blocked mail

At 5:45 PM -0600 2002/02/25, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

>>  In addition, the MX requirement is often that the sending
>>  host be in the MX list for the "MAIL FROM <user@domain>"
>>  domain part, or the mail will be refused as a suspicious
>>  relay.
>
>  That can't be right.  Incoming MX servers, and outgoing sendmail servers,
>  are often different.

	Remember, the check is done at the domain level, if at all.

>  Of course, it IS a SHOULD, not a MUST, but still...
>
>  RFC821 doesn't seem to have anything to say about MX records and their
>  utilization, it just defines the SMTP standard itself.

	I checked RFC 1123, and while there are a number of references to
MX records, etc... I couldn't find anything about falling back to
pure IP addresses if there are no MX records.  It makes sense that
this would come from RFC 974, however.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>

Do you hate Microsoft?  Do you hate Outlook?  Then visit the Anti-Outlook
page at <http://www.rodos.net/outlook/>; and see how much fun you can have.