Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 2002 16:58:54 -0500
From:      Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Joel Wilsson <siigron@sii.unixsweden.net>
Cc:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Be nice to -CURRENT ( "1 week Feature Slush" )

Joel Wilsson <siigron@sii.unixsweden.net> writes:
> On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 08:59:53AM -0600, David W. Chapman Jr. wrote:
> > >    As discussed at BSDCon, the release engineers are committed to
> > > releasing a relatively stable snapshot of FreeBSD -CURRENT on or
> > > around April 1, 2002.  Obviously, a lot of major components are still
> > > in progress, but a great deal of work has already been accomplished,
> > > and could benefit from the additional exposure that a polished
> > > snapshot with full package set and documentation will provide.
> > >
> > I don't know if this is something worth making it the snapshot, but
> > currently kde doesn't work due to binuntils update.  It may work now
> > after the most recent binutils update, but we have to recompile kde
> > to see that I believe, andkdelibs cannot be compiled
> > which builds kde-config which the rest of the kde meta-ports try to
> > run.
>
> It works if you don't use objprelink, and then change a bunch of files
> to include arpa/inet.h

htonl()/htons()/ntohl()/ntohs() can be defined by including
<arpa/inet.h>, <netinet/in.h>, or <sys/param.h> (the first two are
POSIX-required, the final one is temporary until the base system no
long requires it).  Previously these functions were leaked to all
sorts different headers.  Weak aliases exist for these functions so
even if software depended on, for instance ntohl() being prototyped
<sys/types.h>, this should not be fatal.

There's a few small issues with the prototypes which can lead to some
compiler diagnostics (this should be fixed by Sunday).

If someone can provide a compiler error and source file, I can
figure out what the problem is.

Best regards,
Mike Barcroft