Date:      Sun, 10 Mar 2002 16:49:39 +0100 (CET)
From:      Herve Quiroz <hquiroz@esil.univ-mrs.fr>
To:        Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Cc:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Performance of Java/FreeBSD

> Under what similar conditions across all platforms ? HotSpot ? or just
> the bytecode interpreter ? Have you used any of the open source JITs
> like ShuJIT and OpenJIT and compared the results ?

As I said to Justen in a recent mail, I coded the whole stuff a crapy way.
I mean I assumed the hotspot would do any optimization (amongst them
object recycling) on its own so I could code clean without any manual
tuning I usually do (mostly for game dev). So it is quite obvious it's my
fault if I have found myself disapointed by the speed ;) You're right when
saying conditions across all platforms were not the same. I feel guilty to
complain just because I tried to use the stuff "as is".

> Yeah, right, not a complaint mail my ass. ;)

Really, it was my own mistake not to have thought before of the hotspot
not being full featured for BSD ;) It is not my intention to have a flame
war here because we all agree on the fact that :

1) FreeBSD is powerful
2) Java is nice
3) Java on FreeBSD can be powerful (and probably will - see 4)
4) Java on FreeBSD is already nice thanks to some coders spending
their time on it.

> Well, things are going to suffer in the BSDs for now, you'll just have
> to wait for the port to get finished and there's nothing I can tell you
> that can comfort that bad news other than it's being worked on right now.

Again I prefer coding/debugging using FreeBSD so thanks for the already
working port. Keep on the good work.

Herv=E9