Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 2002 20:21:41 -0500
From:      Hug Me <hugme@hugme.org>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with keyboard on FreeBSD

I had this same problem on a few boxes, I also had the problem with
not being able to ssh to the box some of the time due to me either
working on ssh or playing with my firewall.

I thought about getting a kvm switch but couldn't find a decent one
I wanted to use for that. ssh works but if networking has failed,
you want to work the kernal and are in single user mode or my name
server was acting funny and I didn't want to wait the 15 minuites for
reverse to fail over...

the solution I came up with was serial interface... go into your
/etc/ttys file and read it, it's easy to figure out, then go get
a null modem cable and pull a 486 out of a dumpster. I have gotten
to the point of prefering this method for some of my servers....

sometime the old style is still the best...