Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 2002 21:35:30 -0600 (CST)
From:      Lute Mullenix <lute@cableone.net>
To:        Scott Corey <scott@bsdprophet.org>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X problems as user

While I do have to agree that seeing the same question posted over and
over again can get a little tiresome (for some anyway), but one thing that
we need to keep in mind is that most people coming to FreeBSD are not
coming from any sort of "UN*X" background. They are from Windows, where
user setup of OS is not only difficult, but discouraged.

I come from a "UN*X" history, my very first real OS was OS-9 running on a
Motorola 6809 processor, then onto OS-9 68000 running on a FHL Euro-Quad
20. This was proprietary software running on expensive hardware, but I
wanted to run UNIX so that's what I ran. These systems had the "Windowing"
systems set up for you. When I bumped into Linux was the first time I ever
had to deal with X, and I was able to get X 4.1.0 working there with some
effort, but when I moved to FreeBSD, I asked the same question because
even though I had 4.1.0 running as a normal user under Linux, I had never
heard of wrapper.

So when we see questions about X, modems setups and what not, let's please
keep in mind that most of these people are dealing with a whole new
concept here. Now I can get most of what I done by reading the doc, BUT I
now know how to read the docs.

Lute
Triple Boot:
FreeBSD 4.5 Release
Debian GNU/Linux 3.0
Windows ME (Hey, it came with the system)