Date:      26 Mar 2002 10:49:49 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /etc/fstab woes [please help]

Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com> writes:

> One moment it works, the next, he no a-worka!  :(  Can someone explain what
> is best to use in my /etc/fstab file based on these dmesg entries?

You didn't say what "it" is that doesn't work.

> Ooh, I just thought of a killer question!  Is there a way to have
> /etc/fstab entries basically *create* the mounted "directory" points and
> `rm -rf /dir` the directories when something is unmounted?

You probably can just rename /sbin/mount and write a replacement script
that does what you want, probably using the old program.  It would need
to support the "-a" option used during boot from /etc/rc (see).

> That is... why
> must the user first "mkdir /cdromdrive" or whatever before issuing a
> command like "mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd01 /cdromdrive?"

I had a similar case explained to me recently: There's a design theory
that such drastic actions as creating a mount point where all kinds and
amounts of stuff could get stored without user knowledge is rather risky
given the significantly high probability of typos.  So some programs
shouldn't create files or directories automatically, but instead require
require the names to be typed twice (creation and use).  Believe it or not.