Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 2002 10:05:27 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@FreeBSD.org>, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc1 Makefile src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc1obj Makefile src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc1plus Makefile

--oC1+HKm2/end4ao3

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 11:53:57PM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 07:25:50PM +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 04:50:14PM -0800, David E. O'Brien wrote:
> > > obrien      2002/04/03 16:50:14 PST
> > >=20
> > >   Modified files:
> > >     gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc1   Makefile=20
> > >     gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc1obj Makefile=20
> > >     gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc1plus Makefile=20
> > >   Log:
> > >   Set NOSHARED conditionally.
> > >  =20
> > Why?  Conditionally setting NOSHARED only makes sense in Makefile.inc
> > where it may be overridden by individual makefiles beneath it.
> > (Seeing if Bruce agrees.)
>=20
> Do you and BDE now search out every one of my commits with a goal of
> turning it into a bike shed?
>=20
> Why?  Because some people have a [misguided] hatred for static binaries.
> They want to be able to have their compiler be a shared binary.  They can
> achieve this with "NOSHARED=3Dno".
>=20
> /usr/share/mk/bsd.prog.mk:.if defined(NOSHARED) && ( ${NOSHARED} !=3D "no=
" && ${NOSHARED} !=3D "NO" )
>=20
> Notice that the value of NOSHARED is actually checked besides just its
> existence.  But I am tried of the debate on this commit from both you and
> BDE (this is the 5th message about it).  So I will just say "fuck it" and
> put "NOSHARED=3Dyes" in gnu/usr.bin/cc/Makefile.inc and have a totally
> static compiler suite that cannot easily be changed.
>=20
This only shows your inability to properly communicate with others.  I just
wondered about this particular change because you did not provide any good
reason for it in your commit log (the place where this stuff should probably
go in the first place).

I now know the answer (modulo the s/f.ck/heck/), thank you very much.

I also expect that you apologize for such inappropriate behavior.

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,