Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 2002 17:14:30 -0700
From:      Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@macguire.net>
To:        Walid Nehme <walidn@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: messages.

* Walid Nehme (walidn@yahoo.com) [020422 16:58]:
> Dear sirs.
>
> I have freebsd 4.3 installed on my machine. P4 intel motherboard and 256 RDRAM.
> HDD Maxtor 40G.
>
> I always have a message on the console "/kernel: stray irq 7"
> and in dmesg i found that my hdd is working on irq 7 /ads1a device.
> I divided the HDD for :
> /  2G  ufs+S
> /usr 5G ufs+S
> /var 5G ufs+S
> /usr/local/ 5G ufs+S
> /usr/local/squid 5G ufs+S
> /swap 5G
> S is the switch in fdisk that makes update software or something, i dont
> remember.
>
> Another message "/kernel: cd9660: Joliet Extension(level 1)"
> that happens after i mount the cdrom on /cdrom directory and when trying to
> read the files.
> it gives that message then shows me the files Why?

More information about this can be found littered throughout recent questions@
archives, however a quick summary is that a stray irq is an interrupt that
came in, but couldn't be matched to an actual device. I believe all requests
like this are routed through irq 7 and freebsd prints a happy message for you.
General consensus seems to be a) it doesn't hurt anything and b) somebody will
get around to fixing it eventually.

--
Benjamin Krueger

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about."
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)