Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2002 09:29:41 -0400
From:      "Moti" <moti@flncs.com>
To:        <pjklist@ekahuna.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SSH questions

----- Original Message -----
From: "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To: <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2002 4:42 AM
Subject: SSH questions

> I've been having issues recently connecting from one FBSD box to
> another. (4.3-Stable calling a 4.5-Stable box)
>
> 1) SSH is timing out after a few minutes of inactivity.  (actually
> I'm getting "connection reset by peer" messages)
>
> The reason I don't think this is a connectivity problem is that both
> boxes are on pretty reliable circuits connected to the same ISP. (ie
> packets between them never hit the internet)
>
> I looked for some "timeout" settings in both /etc/ssh/sshd_config or
> ssh_config and didn't find anything but the "keep alive" setting.
> Are connections supposed to stay alive indefinitely by default?

1.look to see if you have a timeout in your . files ( this could be a tcsh
timeout )
2.are you using the sshd built  into freebsd or did you install one from
ports ( if yes than you config files are in /usr/local/etc )
3.do you have keep alive disabled ? I qoute the man page "
 KeepAlive
             Specifies whether the system should send keepalive messages to
             the other side.  If they are sent, death of the connection or
             crash of one of the machines will be properly noticed.
However,
             this means that connections will die if the route is down tem-
             porarily, and some people find it annoying.  On the other hand,
             if keepalives are not sent, sessions may hang indefinitely on
the
             server, leaving ``ghost'' users and consuming server
resources."

> 2) The default ssh_config file appears to have protocol 1 as the
> 'default' protocol - or do I misunderstand this field?  Clearly I
> want to use protocol 2 whenever possible because it's supposed to be
> more secure than v1.  This is the line I'm referring to:
>
> Protocol 1,2
>
> On the 4.3-Stable box those numbers are reversed.. but the line is
> commented-out.

I usually disable protocol 1 access (it's a big recommandation in any
security chyecklist )

> 3) Seems like it doesn't do much logging by default. (default syslog
> facility "AUTH", level "Info")  I can see basic stuff in wtmp/lastlog
> but I'd like to log things like SSH protocol version, authentication
> method, etc.  I tried changing "INFO" to "VERBOSE" and sent a HUP to
> sshd but it didn't seem to change much.

dont know about this one accept maybe you hupped the wrong process ? ( no
offence ...)

> Thx,
>
> Phil

moti

> --
> Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
> Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New
Millenium