Date:      Sat, 4 May 2002 12:51:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Brown <mike@hyperreal.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SOLVED Re: Djmy.domain not working after upgrade

Thanks to some nudgin from Per Hedeland on comp.mail.sendmail, I figured out
the solution.

Apparently $j is deprecated or ineffective now, and proper masquerading
involves $M and some rule changes. The best way to set it is by editing a .mc
file, not the .cf file.

However, when I ran 'make installworld' and 'mergemaster', no .mc files were
copied into /etc/mail. Only a new prefab .cf file appeared. I don't know if
this indicates a failure on my part to run something correctly, or a failure
in the upgrade process. I'm perfectly willing to admit it was a mistake I
made!

Anyway, the steps to solve the problem were as follows:

cd /usr/src/etc/sendmail
make
make install   (now /etc/mail has the base files)

cd /etc/mail
make           (now there's a /etc/mail/myhost.mydomain.mc)

edit myhost.mydomain.mc and add near the top:
   MASQUERADE_AS(mydomain)
   FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')

make install
make restart