Date:      Tue, 14 May 2002 11:13:04 -0400
From:      "Byron L. Sonne" <blsonne@rogers.com>
To:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: trying to fix missing /boot/loader error, no luck

> In message <3CE0713A.15124DE2@rogers.com>, "Byron L. Sonne" writes:
> >So I tried a few things, notably "disklabel -B ad0" and "boot0cfg -Bv
> >ad0". I rebooted after each and I still get the "no /boot/loader" and
> >"meta data missing" errors. If I do a dir of /boot, I can see loader and
> >a bunch of other things. I then tried using sysinstall to replace the
> >MBR and then tried "boot0cfg -Bv ad0" but still no luck.

> Try "disklabel -B ad0s1" (assuming slice 1 is your FreeBSD slice).
> Also, do you have a very large root partition (> 8GB) or does your
> root partition end more than 8GB from the start of the disk? If so,
> the contents of /boot/loader might not be accessible using the BIOS.
> The normal recommendation is for a small (128-256MB) root filesystem
> to avoid such problems.

Yes, since this is a home machine I used a simple partitioning scheme;
other than swap all I have is /boot @ 256MB and / @ 18GB. I've done the
same thing in the past with earlier versions of FreeBSD (4.2 & 4.3) and
never encountered this problem, so I'm not sure I understand what is
going on here. Did something change in this regard from earlier
versions? I'm not opposed to rebuilding the system (it's only a few days
old) but I'd like to avoid that if possible :)