Date:      Mon, 20 May 2002 11:08:40 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   World breakage (was: cvs commit: src/share/doc/psd/03.iosys Makefile iosys)

On Sunday, 19 May 2002 at 16:52:40 -0500, Mike Silbersack wrote:
> On Sat, 18 May 2002, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> grog        2002/05/18 23:03:06 PDT
>>
>>   Modified files:
>>     share/doc/psd/03.iosys Makefile iosys
>>   Log:
>>   Remove original license disclaimer.
>>   Add Caldera license.
>>
>>   Approved by:    David Taylor <davidt@caldera.com>
>>
>>   Make buildable under FreeBSD.
>>
>>   Revision  Changes    Path
>>   1.2       +16 -1     src/share/doc/psd/03.iosys/Makefile
>>   1.2       +36 -4     src/share/doc/psd/03.iosys/iosys
>
> ===> share/doc/psd/03.iosys
> groff -ms iosys > paper.ps
> troff: fatal error: can't open `iosys': No such file or directory
> *** Error code 1
>
> /me frowns at the broken buildworld.

This is really puzzling.  Of course I tried a build before I committed
all this stuff, notably the top-level Makefile.  There seem to be
three differing views about what was broken:

1.  17-m4.  Yes, this was definitely broken, but unfortunately I had a
    copy of a bogus tmac.msU in my uesrland tree which stopped the
    error from occurring.  The build should really use the macros in
    the source tree, not on the build machine.

2.  Also 3 and 4.

3.  All my commits.

I've committed some patches from mark, which probably allow things to
build.  They ignore references to refer, though, so we end up with
even more warnings.  There's also the issue of formats: I consider the
typeset version of the documents to be the canonical one, and while we
shouldn't install that on the system, I think it should be built.  The
current method is not very clean IMO.

Greg