Date:      02 Jun 2002 15:58:30 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        Dima Dorfman <dima@trit.org>, <audit@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: %j for printf(9)

Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au> writes:
> When splitting this, you might consider fixing he disorder in it (but fixing
> the external disorder and misarrangement of the other declarations of ints
> should be in a separate patch).

Removed

> Unrelated style fix :-).

Removed

> Another unrelated style fix.  This one makes the patch harder to read.

Removed

> Please remove the 'n' case, and check this a bit.  I forgot to remove it
> soon after rev.1.48.

Done.  It wasn't used anywhere in the kernel.  I also took the liberty
of implementing the "real" %n:

                case 'n':
                        if (jflag)
                                *(va_arg(ap, intmax_t *)) = retval;
                        else if (qflag)
                                *(va_arg(ap, quad_t *)) = retval;
                        else if (lflag)
                                *(va_arg(ap, long *)) = retval;
                        else
                                *(va_arg(ap, int *)) = retval;
                        break;

> This seems to print all the garbage for %<garbage>.  It might be useful
> to mark up the garbage.  But gcc will detect the garbage at compile time
> for literal strings.

The original code would print different, possibly incorrect garbage.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org